West Norwood: The Hidden Gem of South East London

With an almost glaring spotlight on areas like Clapham, Balham, Tooting and Streatham in the south west, it would be easy to miss West Norwood, a leafy suburb nestled between its popular neighbours. This small South East London community is encompassed by Herne Hill and Brockwell Park to the north, Streatham Common to the south and Tooting to the west. West Norwood has with it takes to rival its biggest neighbours with plenty o f parks, community centres and street markets to take your fancy. It’s also home to Cheviot Gardens, a new development with stylishly finished self-contained homes and gardens for retirees.

Here are three reasons why you should consider West Norwood in your search for a new home.

Portico Gallery

Portico Gallery is a friendly, Not for Profit, community gallery which offers a range of activities such as pottery, sewing, movie nights, yoga and comedy nights, you will never be short of things to do. Challenge yourself with a new or old hobby by choosing between a range of low energy/high energy activities found on their website under homepage highlights.

What the locals say

Yoko Wa Da ‘The heartbeat of West-Norwood. Great to come home to! Really quirky, creative and welcoming!’

Katiushka Borges, ‘I love Portico Gallery, a creative, innovative, supportive and great artistic place for the community!!!’

West Norwood Feast – TimeOut 'Not just a something for everyone market’

TimeOut described West Norwood Feast as ‘an awesome community-powered market’, West Norwood Feast is a volunteer organised monthly street market, providing excellent food and a whole range of community inspired activities. Designed by the regeneration group behind Brixton Village, join the buzz of FEAST occurring once a month on a Sunday.

Check out this recent TimeOut article

What the locals say

Nikki Hughes, ‘What a great vibe! Great food, great people. Really feels like the whole community plays a part in this’

Anthony Paul Hodgson, local artist, ‘The West Norwood Feast is awesome - a celebration of all that is best about our own very special corner of London town’.

Norwood Park

The Norwood Park has some of the best panoramic views of London as well as country walks, cafés and an outdoor gym. If you fancy yourself a closet politician, Friends of Norwood have a committee where you can meet the neighbours from surrounding neighbourhoods, learn more about your area, discuss local issues and have an active say in what goes on around you.

What the locals say

Tip from local resident and Toast & Butter blog: Check out the Hungry Hippo Café for its unassuming yet journalistically acclaimed falafels. Yes … falafels.

Older Person's Shared Ownership at Cheviot Gardens

With all this waiting on your doorstep at Cheviot Gardens, and the opportunity to own a 75% share without paying rent on the remaining 25%, you will flourish in your new home. This Government backed scheme is available exclusively for people over 55s.

*Image credit to Peter Rowley via Flickr 

Find out more about the exceptional financial benefits of buying at Cheviot Gardens